8.10.2009

Potato Bug Summer



Call them what you like. Pill bugs, rolly pollys . . . but in our house they are known as potato bugs, and they are absorbing a good portion of our summer mornings. Without fail, the first thing Zachary wants to do in the morning is look outside for potato bugs. And believe me, we have plenty. Actually, that is an understatement. We have more of an infestation of sorts. In an hour's time we can find well over a hundred bugs on our back patio. Which is why I don't mind when he gathers them all up in a jar and accidentally leaves them in the sun to dry out. There have been some days when he has spent 2+ hours out in our little strip of a "backyard" looking for these bugs. He occasionally breaks to play with his diggers and dump trucks, but he always goes back to the potato bugs.

5 comments:

Megan said...

Zachie is so cool. Now Andrew has started looking for bugs every morning as we walk to the car to go to the gym. Sometimes I let him take them with him. Don't tell the daycare workers! :)

Genene said...

I love that age when bugs are a fascination! Keep collecting those bugs! Sadie always wants to have a rolly polly for a pet but I tell her I have no idea what they like to eat. The last thing I need is one of those crawling around in my bed.

Unknown said...

Rachel! Um, we do need to see each other, and soon. I can't believe it has been this long. Let's make plans - missjennica@yahoo.com

Mandi said...

These last to post are great! Zach has so much personality!

Rachel said...

I love your blog! I'm so glad I know about it now. You have such a beautiful family. Zachy is so much fun and such a cutie! That is so funny that we share so many things in common. I'm so jealous that Zachary will stay preoccupied with the bugs for 2 hours!!! That must be wonderful.